The main function of the International Center is to conduct basic and applied research in the field of creation and development of different levels and use advanced information technologies and systems as well as training on basic directions of Cybernetics and Informatics, which meet the requirements of international and national standards.
In the process of the core functions implementation the International Center is:
- basic organization of the National Committee on Informatics;
- the leading organization on the modernization and development of Ukraine automated mapping system;
- basic organization of the Technical Committee (TC-20) for Ukraine State Consumer Standard;
- National Coordinator of the Intergovernmental UNESCO “Information for All” Programme;
- supporting centre for UNESCO in the development and application of information and communication technologies in science and education;
- the leading organization in CIS in the section “speech” of the European scientific network studying natural speech and writing.